8 June 2016

DIY Pretty Fabric Wrapped Books...



Wrapped books are such a wonderful idea...
They add height and interest to a tabletop, shelf or sideboard vignette.
And they are such an easy thing to create!
Today I am going to make fabric wrapped books!


You will need:

Old books (I used three)
Fabric
soft stick sellotape 
a ruler for measuring
a pen for marking size before cutting fabric
pinking shears

 I've chosen fabric in contrasting colourways
 that will compliment the items on my shelf.


 Because I want to reuse the books for future crafts, 
or to change the fabric colours, I am not using glue.


 The first step is to measure the fabric to cover the book from the cover.


 You need to allow fabric for the inside cover edges.
Also remember the spine of the book fabric allowance.


 These are my very vintage pinking shears.
Using these I am cutting an edge on the long length of the fabric top and bottom.


 Using a soft stick sellotape (one that removes without to much tearing to the paper cover) stick the fabric to the inside of the front and back covers.


On the outside edge you have the pinking pattern which also stops the fabric fraying.


 It doesn't matter if the fabric overhangs the book, 
or it shows a little cover if the cover is a complimentary colour.


This is was the shelf looked like before the books...


 This is with one book added.

If you are interested in finding out how to make the 
Mini Pallet Love Sign, you will find the tutorial HERE.


 And here is the shelf with the three pretty fabric wrapped books.
Essentially what you are doing is adding a riser.
The books are the riser (added height).


It's quite amazing what adding a little height with a riser can do to the visual of a vignette.
This is effective on a coffee table, side board or on a shelf, or bedside table.



18 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I've covered books with scrapbook paper a bunch of times but this pretty fabric is even better. The vignette is fun with the pops of red. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey. My sofa is red...hence the extra pops of decor red. :)

      Delete
  2. What a sweet idea! I love the contrasting fabrics. Would you come and share this with us at Five Star Frou-Frou at A Tray of Bliss? We love a good vintage-y project. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mimi - you have a new pinterest follower ;)

      Delete
  3. I love how the books turned out, like Stacey above I have also use scrapbook paper and wrapping papers to cover books. Thank you for sharing on the Oh my Heartsie Girls Wonderful Wednesday this week!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. When we were kids we used to make fabric covers for our Bibles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did too. In fact we did it with our school work books too.

      Delete
  5. Now you gave me an idea Tracey! I am using books to give my side table lamp some more hight and I've never thought of wrapping them up! This is brilliant, as the covers can match the decor and make it all so much nicer! Love it! and it's super easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fact this way is less permanent and you change change up the fabric when you want. :)

      Delete
  6. Love the gingham & strawberry print together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this idea. I also use books to elevate so I will need to dig out some fabric and give it a try. It really gives it a nice designer look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing beats a pretty covered book to add height. :)

      Delete
  8. What a lovely idea, Tracey Lee. It gives such a pretty look for displaying the books. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle Sunday. Pinned and Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the simplicity of being able to change up the fabrics when you want. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment